Start Date: 28/02/2023
Duration: 2.5 hours (10am - 12.30)
Full Fee: €100
Network Members Fee: €70
This Disability Awareness training programme gives a comprehensive overview of disability through a live online learning platform. There are close to 690,000 people living in Ireland with a recognised disability and most of this hugely diverse group frequent restaurants, bars and cafes across the hospitality industry each week. This programme aims to create a greater level of confidence for customer facing staff in service provision, a better understanding of disabled customers’ needs and a stronger awareness of how to create an inclusive and welcoming service.
On completion of the programme participants will:
- Have a greater overall knowledge of how diverse disability is
- No longer believe disability is only visual or intellectual
- Have confidence in speaking to patrons with disabilities
- Have greater awareness of appropriate disability etiquette
- Have greater awareness of anti-discrimination legislation
- Have awareness of reasonable accommodation
- Know barriers to service provision for customers with disabilities
- Know key points in effective and respectful service provision
Who is this course for?
Employees working in the restaurant and hospitality industry
- Introduction to Disability Awareness training
- Statistics related to disability in Ireland
- Definition of disability to include ‘Disabled person and person with a disability’
- Diversity within disability
- Myths & assumptions around disability
- Discrimination towards customers
- Reasonable accommodation
- Barriers to inclusion in service provision
- Disability etiquette in service provision
- Key points in service provision
- Creating an inclusive workplace
Ability Focus specialise in disability awareness training and employment supports for organisations in the public and private sectors. It was established with a view to addressing the disability knowledge gap which currently exists in Ireland and is the leading provider of Disability Awareness Training in Ireland.
Their mission is to enhance the confidence of organisations to offer greater customer service, employment and promotion opportunities to people with disabilities. This is primarily done through disability awareness training.
They are the only company in Ireland who offer disability awareness training as a primary service offering and deliver disability awareness to business including SME’s and multinationals on a daily basis.