Start Date: 22/03/2023 05/04, 12/04, 19/04, 26/04, 03/05,10/05 & 25/05
Duration: 8 Day Programme 9.30am - 4pm
Location: Virtual Delivery
Full Fee: €770
Network Members Fee: €540
This eight-day programme offers current restaurant supervisors an opportunity to hone their skills and assist in progressing to a managerial position within a restaurant/gastro pub. It is aimed at complementing the practical experience gained by individuals working in the industry. It provides supervisors with the necessary skills to effectively manage a wide range of restaurant operations. On completion of the course, each participant will receive a Restaurant & Hospitality Skillnet certificate.
- Create a business plan for your establishment
- Understand how to market your business effectively
- Learn how to manage the business financials
- Understand the elements of kitchen management and how to reduce waste
- Understand the importance of communication as your role as a manager
- Learn the essentials of beverage management
- Know the basics of HR
- Know how to handle customer complaints, compliments, turn dissatisfied customers into satisfied customers, and to anticipate the customers needs
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at supervisors or managers looking to progress within in restaurant/ hotel restaurant/ gastropub.
1. Business Planning and Marketing
- Course Overview and Learning Objectives
- Work Based Assignment
- Business Plan
- Marketing Action Plans
- Practical Marketing
2. Kitchen & Waste Management
- Cost Control
- Food Waste
- Labour Costs
- Menu Design
- Preparing for EHO Inspection
3. Financial Management
- Costs and Margins
- Accounts Overview
- Cash Flow
- Break Even Analysis
4. Planning and Role of the Manager
- Team Building
- Communication and Meetings
- Manage People
- Reports and Presentations
- Verbal & Non-Verbal
- Communicating with staff
- Communicating with customers
6. Beverage Management
- Principles and Practice of Bar Management
- The Principles of Taste
- Pairing Strategies for Wine and Beer
- Beverage Stock Control
7. Human Resource
- Employment Law and Records
- Managing Staff
- Staff Motivation and Incentives
- Conflict Resolution
- Staff Performance, Appraisals and Reviews
8. Customer Service and Selling
- Understanding Customer Needs
- Handling Complaints
- Making a Difference
- Delighting Customers
- Action Plan
Marc Thornton – Business Planning & Marketing + Customer Care
Marc Thornton is an award-winning trainer who is managing director of DTA Marketing, a well-established marketing and customer care consultancy company in Dublin. Prior to joining DTA Marketing he held senior marketing positions with Superquinn, Securicor, Deloitte and AIB plc.
Frank McGlone – Financial Management
Since 2003, Frank has been the Optimum Results’ lead Trainer & Consultant for Management Development programmes delivered in Ireland and export markets. He has specialised in this field since the early 90s but has also worked with some of Ireland’s largest businesses. A result focused and talented facilitator of effective Business Strategy, Frank is a widely skilled and experienced Trainer and Executive Coach.
Martin Potts – Kitchen & Waste Management
Martin Potts is the Managing Director of Synergy Prochef, a former Failte Ireland and chef consultant and he also leads ‘The Academy at Cliff at Lyons’.
Ciaran Murphy – Beverage Management
Ciarán Murphy is an award winning hospitality skills training and guest experience expert based in Dublin. With years of experience in the hospitality industry in a variety of roles spanning; senior management, reservations, marketing and premium customer service in both bar and restaurant backgrounds, his unique approach to the execution of a quality guest experience sets him apart from his competitors.
John Healy – Planning & Role of the Manager
John has worked at every level of the business on his route to the top. He has been a luggage porter, room service waiter and attendant. John has worked in eateries in Paris and London. He has also worked in corporate management consultancy, advising managers about the importance of personal image and people skills and social etiquette. Lectured in GMI and became an external examiner for the college for three years. Now working as a General Manager in Suesey Street restaurant and Bar and No 25 Fitzwilliam place a private venue. John was voted as Dublin restaurant manager of the year 2017 by the Restaurant Association of Ireland.
Claire Carroll – Human Resources
Claire is a highly experienced and qualified HR professional, with a career history combining SME, start-up environments and independent consulting. She is a Chartered Fellow of the CIPD and has obtained a BA from NUIG, a Diploma in Personnel Management from GMIT, a Diploma in Employment Law from the Law Society of Ireland, Blackhall Place, Dublin.