Start Date: 31/10/2022 AVAILABLE ALL YEAR eLearning completed at any time
Duration: 3 hours (complete in your own time)
Full Fee: €70
Network Members Fee: €35
This short e-learning course on Applying Lean in Food & Beverage has been developed for food and beverage businesses. This course will give the participants a good basic understanding of how LEAN and Six Sigma can be applied in an Food & Beverage setting. Throughout the e-learning, learners will be provided with many practical examples which they can implement within the business.
Once registered, learners will be set up on the e-learning programme and they will receive an automatic email to set a password, log in and complete the training. The training can be completed at any time and does not have to be completed in one setting, progress of learners will be saved. Upon completion, learners will receive a certificate of completion from Restaurant & Hospitality Skillnet/Restaurants Association of Ireland.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Define what continuous improvements in Food & Beverage means using one of the definition provided in the learning.
- Understand how and when LEAN Six Sigma arose through Guinness & Toyota.
- List 3 positive effects LEAN & Six Sigma have on customers, team members and owners in a hospitality business.
- Describe value adding and non value adding activities and list the ways they may impact a hospitality business.
- List the steps in Lean Six Sigma tools including GEMBA, MUDA and Root Cause Analysis.
- Describe the 5 steps of a LEAN Project Framework.
- List 3 examples of how to sustain lean practices in the workplace.
Who is this course for?
Those working in F&B within the industry.
- History of LEAN & Six Sigma (LSS)
- How can LSS be applied in your F&B business?
- Applying the Continuous Improvement mindset
- Understanding Customer value
- Overview of LSS Tools
- Examples of LSS Process Changes in F&B
- Problem Solving Methods
- Case Study of a real LSS project in an F&B operation
- How to sustain the Improvements
Subject Matter Expert – Tom McDermott Agility Hospitality
In a career of over 30 years Tom noticed that routine tasks conducted daily in hospitality businesses can include 30% – 50% inefficiency!
Very few hospitality businesses use proven methodologies such as LEAN and Six Sigma to reduce waste and develop more consistent and efficient processes.
Tom created Agility Hospitality to provide continuous improvement training and bespoke LEAN transformation projects specifically tailored for the hospitality and tourism sector.
Before establishing Agility Hospitality, Tom worked internationally for Starwood, Cunard, Radisson and subsequently Hilton where he led their innovative “Operational Excellence” continuous improvement programme across Europe, Middle East & Africa.
Tom holds a LEAN Six Sigma Green Belt and recently completed a Certificate in Data Analytics for Business from DKIT and a Professional Diploma in Transversal skills at UCD and TU Dublin.
He is a passionate advocate of the “bottom up & leader led” approach to continuous improvement where leaders create an environment that nurtures trusting and respectful relationships that unleashes team member creativity.