Start Date: 31/12/2023 AVAILABLE ALL YEAR eLearning completed at any time
Duration: 3 hours (complete in your own time)
Full Fee: €75
Network Members Fee: €35
Continuous Improvement Projects are a fundamental part of any business that wants to remain relevant to their customers, attract and retain the best talent, survive, thrive and grow.
Many Restaurant and Hospitality businesses launch projects or initiatives already. Some are successful, and others are not. This could be due to the process (or lack of process) for executing the project that was chosen.
In this e-learning series we take learners through a methodology for managing continuous improvement projects called the LEAN Project Framework. It is inspired by the proven LEAN and Six Sigma methodologies that are more common in other industry sectors such as Manufacturing, Government and Pharmaceuticals.
Once registered, learners will be set up on the e-learning programme and they will receive an automatic email to set a password, log in and complete the training. The training can be completed at any time and does not have to be completed in one sitting and progress of learners will be saved. Upon completion, learners will receive a certificate of completion from Restaurant & Hospitality Skillnet/Restaurants Association of Ireland.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Define what continuous improvements in Food & Beverage means using one of the definition provided in the learning.
- Describe what a Gemba Walk is and list the key elements of it.
- State 6 characteristics you would expect an observer to possess.
- Describe how to calculate the KPI: Hours per Unit.
- Calculate the magnitude of the categories of waste (MUDA) using the TIMWOODS acronym.
- Explain the 4 types of brainstorming and explain the differences of each type.
- List the 5 steps in the 5S methodology.
- List 4 tips for developing standards of work.
- Describe the 5 stages of the Don Kelley and Daryl Conner Emotional Cycle of Change model.
- Ustilise top 20 LEAN Recommendations within your business.
Who is this course for?
Those working in F&B within the industry.
- Module 1 – Introduction
- 5 Principals of LEAN
- The LEAN Project Framework
- Project Selection Matrix
- Creating a Project Charter
- Module 2 – Observe the current process
- Gaining a different perspective
- Observation tools
- Conducting an observation
- Module 3 – Analyse the data
- Establishing a data baseline
- Analysis tools and metrics
- Process Mapping
- Root Cause Analysis
- Module 4 – Install the Changes
- Running a Pilot
- The 5S tool
- Creating an implementation plan
- Module 5 – Monitor the Results
- Creating Scoreboards/Performance Charts
- Creating Accountability & Next Steps
- Module 6 – Top LEAN Improvements
- Top 5 LEAN Recommendations in Restaurants
- Top 5 LEAN Recommendations in Bars
- Top 5 LEAN Recommendations in Kitchens
- Top 5 LEAN Recommendations in Administration
Subject Matter Expert – Tom McDermott Agility Hospitality
In a career of over 30 years Tom noticed that routine tasks conducted daily in hospitality businesses can include 30% – 50% inefficiency!
Very few hospitality businesses use proven methodologies such as LEAN and Six Sigma to reduce waste and develop more consistent and efficient processes.
Tom created Agility Hospitality to provide continuous improvement training and bespoke LEAN transformation projects specifically tailored for the hospitality and tourism sector.
Before establishing Agility Hospitality, Tom worked internationally for Starwood, Cunard, Radisson and subsequently Hilton where he led their innovative “Operational Excellence” continuous improvement programme across Europe, Middle East & Africa.
Tom holds a LEAN Six Sigma Green Belt and recently completed a Certificate in Data Analytics for Business from DKIT and a Professional Diploma in Transversal skills at UCD and TU Dublin.
He is a passionate advocate of the “bottom up & leader led” approach to continuous improvement where leaders create an environment that nurtures trusting and respectful relationships that unleashes team member creativity.